A Machine ID is a unique code that represents an individual machine. Every Windows machine has an ID generated, similar to a government ID. Connect uses this identifier (and others) to make sure a BlockBot is both servicing the network and that it is an individual machine.
When running a BlockBot on a VPS(Virtual Private Server), the provider usually uses a standard clone image (the same windows installation multiple times), instead of a fresh Windows installation. This can cause a user’s BlockBot to be unseen by the network since it has the same ID as another machine. This will cause a user to lose credit in the distribution.
This article assumes the reader knows:
What is a Smart node?
1) The first step required is to click the Windows button that is in the bottom left of a Windows desktop.
2) Type “run” in the search field. Holding down the Windows Key and the letter R can also make the run app appear.
3) Enter regedit in the open field.
3a) A User Account Control prompt may appear. Click Yes to continue.
4) This will cause the Registry Editor to appear as seen in this image.
Now copy the path below and paste this in the top bar where the arrow is pointing in the image above:
5) Double click the MachineGuid for this menu pop up to appear.
6) Now that the edit string prompt is open, a new Machine ID is needed. Open this website: https://www.guidgen.com/
Note: The user assumes all risk and responsibility for the use of this website and any other similar website to obtain a new Machine ID.
This website generates a machine ID and uses the same technology as Microsoft does in generating it. Copy this ID that it generates it and paste it into the prompt open in regedit.
7) After this, click okay in the prompt and the machine ID will be changed.
After doing this close regedit and restart the computer.
Congratulations, the Machine ID has been changed and now a Founder's Node can be run on this machine!